9th Shropshire Autism Conference 2018
9th Shropshire Autism Conference 2018
Thursday 8th March 2018
'Living, Learning & Growing up with Autism'
Our 9th Shropshire Autism conference will once again provide opportunities to hear expert speakers, share ideas and chat with others who have similar experiences.
Our keynote speaker this year is Sara King, an adult on the autism spectrum who will speak on her experiences as a woman receiving a diagnosis later in life. Sara will also be running a workshop on being a parent on the autism spectrum.
Programme of the day:
9:30am - Registrations and coffee
10:00am - Introductions, followed by Sara King
10:45am - Choice of Q&A session
In a change to our previous format we will also be offering a choice of two Question and Answer sessions with a panel of local professionals/services:
1. Education support for children with autism - with representatives from Shropshire Council SEND, Education Psychology, Woodlands Outreach, Education Access Team, Secondary School SENCo, Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS)
2. Transition to adult services - with representatives from Shropshire Council Adult Social care, Shropshire Council SEND, Bromford Housing, Enable employment support, Derwen College, Shropshire Adult Autism Hub
We will be asking for questions in advance so that we can cover a range of topics but there will be time at the end of the session for questions raised on the day.
Please email your questions in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org
Then there will be an opportunity to attend two workshops (one before and one
after lunch) on the following topics:
• Being a parent with autism – Sara King, parent and person on the autism spectrum. A discussion of the additional challenges parents on the spectrum experience when parenting their autistic and neurotypical children.
FULLY BOOKED • Meditation and Mindfulness approaches (How Meditation and Mindfulness Can Support Young People on the Autism Spectrum) - Anna Granger, ASD Specialist Advisor, Spectra Inclusion Support Team. Anna is in the final stages of her training to become a Connected Kids™ tutor in leading Meditation and Mindfulness activities for toddlers to teens. In this workshop, Anna will share some of the approaches she has been using to support young people with ASD
• Parenting children with ADHD alongside their autism - Hilary McGlynn, Community Services Manager, Autism West Midlands - An introduction to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, strategies to support children and an overview of medication.
• Supporting communication through play - Kerrie White, Specialist Nursery Nurse, Shrewsbury Child Development Centre. How to support your child’s early communication skills through play. This workshop is suitable for parents who have pre school children and older children with significant learning disabilities.
FULLY BOOKED • Understanding the teenage brain - Delia Beckett, Shropshire Council Parenting Team. Would you like to know more about your teenager’s development? The brain goes through a further period of development in the teenage years providing both an opportunity for change and a time of challenge.
12:30pm - Lunch and networking (information stands to view) Refreshments and lunch included.
• Developing self advocacy & autism services in Shropshire - Sarah Thomas Participation Co-ordinator PACC. Having a voice in both individual decision making and in developing local autism services, is important for children/young people on the autistic spectrum and their parents. An introduction to what self- advocacy involves and a chance to influence the development of autism services in Shropshire.
• Sensory world of autism - Wendy Cowton, Autism Co-ordinator, Autism West Midlands. This workshop will look at some of the sensory issues associated with autism; the power of sensory preferences and how you can help your child regulate with sensory play. There will be the opportunity to try out some sensory recipes and take away some ideas to try at home.
• Sleep issues in autism - Kat Slade, Sleep Advisor, Parent and Carers Council. Many children with autism have difficulties with sleep. This workshop will explore some of the reasons behind sleep problems and will introduce strategies to help. Kat has been trained by the Children’s Sleep Charity to offer sleep support that is safe and based on the latest research.
FULLY BOOKED • Supporting the development of social skills - Heather Grainger and Ami Coleman, Speech and Language Therapists. Heather and Ami have many years experience working with children and young people with autism and/or learning disabilities. Here they share approaches to help young people to develop confidence in social situations and develop friendships.
• Talking to your child about their diagnosis - Amanda Phillips and Sue Morris, Family Services, Autism West Midlands. Knowing when and what to say to a child about their autism diagnosis can be difficult for parents and carers. This workshop will offer practical advice on how to approach the topic.
Date: Thursday 8th March 2018
Time: 9:30am - 2:30pm
Location: Barnabas Church Centre, Longden Coleham, Shrewsbury, SY3 7DN
Cost: £15 - parents, familiy, carers & people with autism
£50 - Professionals (we are unable to invoice organisations)
For more information about this event please contact Hilary:
T: 01743 250 962
This Conference is supported by Shropshire Council and NHS Shropshire Clinical Commissioning Group